Moorbrook Textiles Ltd is a Scottish-based manufacturer of premium woven accessories. Operating under the brand names of Begg & Co and Alex Begg we have a progressive manufacturing plant in Ayr.
Manufacturing premium accessories such as scarves, stoles and throws woven from the finest luxury fibres including cashmere, silk, and merino wool we sell via the Alex Begg name to some of the highest profile global premium brands. Over the last few years, we have also developed our own Begg & Co brand, with ambitious plans for further growth.
In late 2020 the Company purchased the trade & assets of a knitwear manufacturer in Hawick, to expand our product offering.
Moorbrook Textiles annual turnover grew from £8m to £18m from 2015 to 2019 and experienced a little reduction in turnover through the pandemic. However, it is forecast to grow another 50% over the next 3 years. The Company employs 165 people and exports around 85% of its products worldwide. The ultimate holding company is Lindengruppen based in Sweden who have invested heavily in the business in recent years, both in terms of people and infrastructure, to support the ongoing growth strategy.
We are excited to be recruiting a Management Accountant to join the Finance Team. This is an established role, with responsibility for management reporting and business support. The Company has utilised the Microsoft Dynamics AX ERP solution since 2012, but will migrate to a more current ERP solution over the next 12 months. Most financial transactions are performed within the operation, with a small Finance team running AP, AR and bank. This role takes responsibility for the integrity and reporting of the numbers.
This represents a great opportunity for the right candidate to become a key member of the team and to develop their skills and experience in a growing and vibrant business. The role reports to the Financial Controller but will also interface daily with the Finance Director. The role will actively business partner with Operations & Sales management and with all Business Support teams.
Although operating in a traditional sector and having a significant history, the Company is now a complex business recording its financial transactions and commitments on a sophisticated ERP system. This role carries responsibility for maintaining the integrity of the Ayr financial reporting, analysing performance, and working with local management to improve it. The tasks include:
- Daily monitoring of ERP transactions/balances for exceptions & errors
- Production of periodic management accounts and related commentaries
- Calculation of standard costs for operations and products
- Analysis of operational financial performance and variances
- Analysis of sales & margins by product/customer/region
- Work with Operations teams to optimise financial performance
- Periodic HMRC reporting – VAT, PAYE, etc.
- Preparation of business cases for capital expenditure proposals
- Preparation of budgets and forecasts
- Support for other members of the Finance team
- Preparation and submission of funding support applications to Scottish Enterprise
- Other ad hoc projects and duties as required
Incorporating a blend of management and financial accounting, the role demands a flexible and accomplished individual with strong people skills and ability to manage multiple tasks. Experience in a manufacturing environment is highly desirable, and some exposure to the fast-paced multi-disciplinary demands of a growing medium-sized business would be beneficial. It is likely that the successful candidate will either have at least a couple of years post qualification experience (CA/CIMA/ACCA) or be a significantly experienced QBE (qualified by experience). Experience of modern ERP systems is essential and any exposure to Microsoft Dynamics AX would be an advantage.
A committed and tenacious approach to improvement of business processes and performance is essential, as is the ability to communicate and operate effectively at all levels of the business. A summary of the key characteristics is as follows:
- Professional qualification or very significant relevant experience
- Previous experience in a manufacturing environment
- High level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and to prioritise appropriately
- Keen commercial awareness, ideally gained within a growing, mid-sized company
- Experience of operational process development and implementing financial controls
- Excellent IT skills with a sound knowledge of ERP systems and MS Excel
- Creative thinker with excellent problem solving and analytical abilities
- Confidence and strong interpersonal skills, especially when interfacing with senior management and non-finance business partners
- Energy, drive, tenacity, professionalism and commitment
- Flexible approach to working hours in line with the needs of the business
To apply for this position please submit your CV and a covering letter to email@example.com
Closing date: 30 Jun 2021.